Monday, March 15, 2010

So...

...no calf yet! It will be 48 hours at 7:30 this evening...we hope something happens before then...if not, I am not sure what happens after this...not sure if we can give her another shot or just let nature take its course...the biggest thing with animals is that we have no idea if she is in labor and experiencing contractions...they obviously cant tell us so we have no idea where we are at in this game...I keep going out every hour in hopes of seeing some sort of discharge or a more proper term with livestock "stringing" or a lifted tail...once we see this...delivery will most likely be right around the corner. The reason we are so excited for this calf is because this will be our first calf that we have played every role in producing...meaning picking the daddy, getting her AIed (artificially inseminated), and taking care of her throughout her whole pregnancy. This calf will be 100% our doing...our calves from last year were already pregnant when we purchased them so our only part with them was delivering them and taking care of them once they were born.

We are hoping that when it is time to AI our cows next time...I will be the one doing it...meaning we hope to get my butt in an AI class/school and learn how to do it. We are doing all of this work for our kids...we plan on getting them into show cattle with some nice stuff when they are at the right age...we are "building" our herd and learning the ropes so that we will have it down pat when the time comes. It is definitely fun and really look forward to the day we can watch our kids show what we produced...anyways, enough rambling...I am going to head back out there since our kids are taking a good nap!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Love Comments!