Not only did we learn a ton...but we placed better than we expected!
3rd in our class out of 8!!
We knew what to expect in terms of caring for the cattle and typical show scenarios. The family we stalled with had 6 head so 7 all together with Kitty. What we were nervous about was actually getting there and figuring out our bearings and tie outs and such...which ended up being way easier and better than we thought.
So day in and day out we did what we had to do...all while I battled this major anxiety about showing for the FIRST TIME...and at THE major cattle show of the year...were we crazy?! Most would say yes. Show day came and I couldn't sleep...pair that with having to get up at 4 a.m. This chick was tiiiiired...I think I ended up being too tired to really be nervous.
Anyways, this was Kittys first major show as well...so it took her a few days to calm down and get used to being handle 14 hours out of the day rather than just a couple. Show day was pretty good. We got to the makeup ring and she was a little agitated with the whole thing...so I tried my best to keep her cool and calm...which I thought had worked until about 5 steps into the show ring. A gentleman was scooping up poo in the corner and ended up spooking Kitty...which sent her flying into the air with fear. So other than getting her calmed down in the beginning...it went pretty well...especially the second half of being out there...she kind of threw me off there in the beginning...Which I hope it was not too noticeable!
The judge pulled the top 4 out of the class to look over again...I couldn't believe it and found myself hesitating because I wasn't sure if he REALLY pointed at me. All in all, I left the show ring feeling pretty good...I knew I could have been a little better with a few things...but hey, it was my first time ever handling a stick in the show ring...it definitely was exhilarating!
I do have to laugh at one thing...we received a lot of phone calls asking if we were enjoying our "vacation." Don't get me wrong, we had a ton of fun...but I wouldn't quite call it a relaxing vacation...the picture below is kinda how you feel sometimes...especially on show day.
Gavin joined us on Wednesday and stayed until we left Friday. He had a ball because two of his "buddies" were down there as well. Boys will be boys...


No comments:
Post a Comment
I Love Comments!