Thursday, December 4, 2008

Thanksgiving...Farewell Great Grandpa Pete...

Thanksgiving 2008

Last photo taken of Grandpa Pete

Gavins first Thanksgiving will be one to remember forever. The days leading up to Thanksgiving were not so lucky. Gavin woke up 4 days before Thanksgiving with a blow out of a diaper and right away I knew something was not quite right. The day progressed to lunch and Gavin was refusing to eat. Silly me being the new mom that I am continued to try and feed him and low and behold BAM...projectile vomit all over himself and even coming out of his nose. My poor baby had his first viral stomach bug:( Days passed and he progressively got better. By the time Thanksgiving arrived he was starting to eat again.

The day of Thanksgiving was spent at Scotts mom and dads house in Lafayette, it is a day I wish I could rewind and go back to. Scotts Grandpa and Gavins great grandpa Pete passed away that following morning from a massive brain bleed caused by a stroke at the age of 91. Pete was surrounded by family including myself and Gavin at the hospital where he was taken to, still holding onto life. It was a sad yet beautiful morning seeing Pete at the hospital. I can only hope when it is my time to go that I am surrounded by family during my final moments.
It was the day after his birthday and just 12 hours after he left Scotts parents after an enjoyable day with family.

The great thing is that Pete seemed to have had an amazing day previous to his passing. Not only was it Thanksgiving but it was Petes birthday as well. He ate about 3 plates full of food, got to see his son, grandkids and great grandkids and lucky enough Grandpa Doug wanted a photo of everyone including Pete. So posted here is Great Grandpa Petes last photo taken just 12 hours before he passed. Despite the sadness we feel looking back on Thanksgiving we are so glad to have been able to create those memories and share them together as a family...myself, Scott, Sherry, Doug, Beth, Tracey, Hillary, Paige, Hunter, Gavin, Bart, Great Grandma McCool, Casey, Leighane, Dakota and Great Grandpa Ransom.

The following days were spent sharing stories about his life and what he had created. I learned a lot and wish I could have known Pete before his loss of memory started to take place. He never quite understood who I was and that he had a new great grand child. He seemed to always go back in time thinking that Gavin was Scott and Paige and Hillary were Scotts sisters. He is now resting in peace next to his wife Louise. It was a beautiful service with the snow covered ground, gun salute and folding of the flag. We are so blessed to have spent the final hours of Petes life with him and may his life live on in memory.

Claire 'Pete' Ransom
November 27, 1917 - November 28, 2008

On a lighter note, Gavin had his first "official" haircut at Lanies sitting right next to daddy. He was doing extremely well until the lady cutting his hair knicked the back of his next with the shaver. I still managed to get some great photos and will post more next time!! We hope everyone reading this had a great Thanksgiving...come again!!!











1 comment:

  1. Lauren, Scott and Gavin,
    Thanks for sharing your pictures with us. We enjoyed them! Have a Happy New Year!
    Love,
    Aunt Alice and Uncle Dan

    ReplyDelete

I Love Comments!