Monday, June 14, 2010

Hold up...I think a tornado just passed by...

...not exactly at our house...but possibly within two miles.

...Georgia was napping and Gavin and I were sitting at one of our windows facing the West...watching a storm roll in...we just figured it would be a simple storm with the crazy lightening and loud thunder...I was actually sitting with Gavin and teaching him what thunder and lightening is...

...the storm rolls in...nothing spectacular at first...until it starts to hail...just a little...it wasnt much, but the size of the hail was bigger than most I have ever seen...I decided to give Scott a call and let him know that hail was in our area (for crop purposes)...as Iam talking to him...I get an alert on my phone telling me we are under a tornado warning...I kinda panicked and hung the phone up...our electricity is flickering so I run upstairs...grab Georgia from her nap and head to the basement with Gavin...we in the basement only for a couple of minutes until I realize we are in the clear...I text my sister-in-law to let her know some nasty weather is headed her way...she tells me it had already come and gone and that crops and of couple sheds are demolished...I let Scott know and he kinda freaks because that is never a good sign...we had a pretty good feeling that one of our farms was most likely hit by the wind and hail...which can be devastating to a farm...(thank goodness for hail insurance)...Scott tells me to sit tight and that we will go for a drive and check things out...little did we know that a shed was blown over just two miles from our house...debris scattered in a neighboring field...a couple telephone poles were knocked off center, trees and limbs were down and the crops in the surrounding area were  shredded...very sad situation...

...we come to one of our fields and we know it doesnt look good...but it is not as bad as what we were seeing, but sad nonetheless.  There is something very sad about looking at farmers fields after strong winds and hail have destroyed it...you think about all the hard work...late nights and early mornings that went into planting those fields...a lot of people dont understand what there is at stake when it comes to farming...most of the crop will bounce back but most likely wont yield to its potential...a lot of money is at stake when it comes to these fragile plants...it kinda tears at your heart...like seeing your child sick or hurt from falling on the concrete...its an indescribable feeling...



I took this out the back window of our truck...look through Gavin sleeping and you can see the mess...
Couple miles from our house...
Debris


How the corn crop is supposed to look...

How the corn crop looked after the storm...NOT.GOOD.

Insanely shredded bean field...

Field cultivator holding up this demolished shed...



No comments:

Post a Comment

I Love Comments!