(To the "non-ag" viewers...working ground means pulling a tillage tool with your tractor and tilling or working the field for next years crop)
Anyways! The father in law and husband share equipment...and the father in law has his own "line of men" he uses to help in the field...mainly because my husband has what you could consider a full time job outside of farming...(I say what you consider a full time job because he has a super understanding boss who lets him do what he needs to do during those important times of the year...oh, and my husband sells John Deere Ag equipment...so he is always working anyways).
Okay, back to the story of our date...My parents came to visit Friday night...and with my husbands short break from harvesting our crop...there is always work to be done...so he decided to start tilling his fields that had already been harvested...so, the husband sent me a text asking if I wanted some wheel time...I, of course, said yes! Since it is a rarity for me to find time to drive a tractor...now that we have two children (I used to spend a lot of time with my husband in the field before we had children)...I jumped at this opportunity to not only get some wheel time, but to spend time away from the children with my husband...sometimes it is much needed!
Of course, we had a great time...Its just great to be able to do stuff like that every now and again, but also, it was great to be back out in the middle of a field...where its just you and the machine...it really is a beautiful thing...it is so peaceful out there (as long as nothing breaks!). The sun started to set and created beautiful colors in the sky...a combine was harvesting a field next to us...and created a really pretty haze over the field...semis were moving...and that evening...that area of the county was buzzing with farmers...so it was nice to see all those familiar faces while driving out there...I even passed one of my favorite fellow farmers...and he is what a lot of people would imagine a farmer to be in their head...suspenders and all! It felt so good to be out and about with everyone...I love the big waves everyone gives as you pass by their field...or pass by them in the tractor, combine or semi...its just a really amazing way of life...that I wouldnt change for the world...and I know its crazy...but sometimes I feel like it is almost like a crazy club we belong to!
Well said! I love those date times in the combine watching the sun set or listening to PU football on the radio. Guess what!?!? I've been driving the combine a couple of times! Maybe I will invite Steve on a date ;-)
ReplyDeleteI loved the good ole' days when Chris would call and ask if I wanted to work with him and we would ride together - now when he calls and says that he points to another tractor and says "Great you take that one and I'll take this one see ya later"!
ReplyDeleteGood Morning! I have a blogger award for you :)
ReplyDeleteIm your newest follower from Tuesday Blog Hop...Follow back and dont be a stranger! :) Naomi
ReplyDeletena-miart.blogspot.com