Thursday, April 26, 2012

Country Music and Farming

Farming is one profession that gets sung about a lot in Country music.  You don't really ever hear music about being a doctor, lawyer, teacher or hardly anything else.  Not that they are less important by any means...just that farming practically has its own genre of music.  Like Jason Aldeans new song, Fly Over States (my favorite at the moment)...has a lot of awesome lyrics that pertain to farming and living the country life... I just love that this way of life gets represented by so many awesome songs...

Just a bunch of square cornfields and wheat farms,
Man it all looks the same,
Miles and miles of back roads and highways,
Connecting little towns with funny names,
Who'd wanna live down there in the middle of nowhere
© Warner/Chappell Music, Inc., BMG RIGHTS MANAGEMENT US, LLC

Living out in the middle of nowhere isn't for everyone...and it is definitely a way of living you have to get used to if you did not grow up that way (ME).  But I swear living out here is as close to heaven as you can get.  Nothing like waking up in the morning and heading out to check cattle...and on your way back to the house you hear a male turkey or a couple of pheasants off in the distance.  Or stumble upon a herd of deer in your back pasture...And the sunsets, oh my gosh the sunsets.  They beat any sunset in the Caribbean by a long shot.  The peace and tranquility is amazing...and I can't imagine living anywhere else but the middle of nowhere...on our family farm.

They,ve never drove through Indiana,
Met the man who plowed that Earth,
Planted that seed, busted his ass for you and me
Or caught a harvest moon in Kansas,
They'd understand why God made those fly over states,
© Warner/Chappell Music, Inc., BMG RIGHTS MANAGEMENT US, LLC

Another awesome lyric that I love...A lot of people outside of Agriculture really don't have a grasp on how detailed and intricate farming really is.  I know sometimes people might think that all you do is drive that tractor and plant that seed...and BOOM...you grow an awesome crop (this was me when I first met my husband).  But really, this couldn't be further from the truth.  The amount of work behind the scenes is unbelievable...between soil testing, crop consulting and book work...it can get a bit crazy making sure you are spending your money in the right spot on certain farms...all in hopes of producing an optimum yield.  It is quite shocking, honestly, when it comes to all the work that goes into farming...or even raising livestock for that matter.


5 comments:

  1. Great post. Love that song also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Couldn't agree more! Farming is more than a job it is a way of life....we quite literally live, eat and breath our work not to mention raise our family here too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that song. And I couldn't agree more about the sunsets. I don't think there's another profession/lifestyle that you can hand down to your kids as early either. Even tiny tots can help carry a bucket or water the animals/garden. I feel so blessed to live in a fly-over state. How did you and your husband meet? Mine was my counselor at a horse camp when I was 15 and he was 19. We didn't start dating 'till I was in college though.

    ReplyDelete

I Love Comments!