Oh, my goodness! I'am not one to boast about certain recipes...but this one...THIS ONE is amazing and your mouth is missing out if you do not try this! I'am actually on my third bowl as I type this!
I doubled the recipe and was going to freeze it for my sons bday get together...it is SO good that I'am serving this to my family this evening and making a fresh batch for the big day...I can not put my spoon down.
Roasted Tomato Basil Soup by The Barefoot Contessa
3 POUNDS ripe plum tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons of good quality olive oil (don't skimp, it will be worth it!!!)
1 Tablespoon of kosher salt (not table salt, please)
1 1/2 teaspoons of freshly ground black pepper
2 cups chopped yellow onion
6 garlic cloves, minced (sounds like a lot...but it MAKES the soup)
2 tablespoons of unsalted butter
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes...more if you really like that kick
28 ounce can of whole plum tomatoes with juice
4 cups fresh basil leaves, packed (I did not have 4 cups...so I just used dried basil from my spice rack...though Iam sure it would have been EVEN better with fresh)
1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves (or, dried if you do not have fresh)
1 quart chicken stock
-Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Toss together the tomatoes, 1/4 cup olive oil, salt, and pepper.
-Spread the tomatoes in 1 layer on a baking sheet and roast for 45 minutes.
-In an 8-quart stockpot over medium heat, saute the onions and garlic with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, the butter, and red pepper flakes for 10 minutes, until the onions start to brown
-Add the canned tomatoes, basil, thyme, and chicken stock. Add the oven-roasted tomatoes, including the liquid on the baking sheet. Bring to a boil and simmer uncovered for 40 minutes. Pass through a food mill fitted with the coarsest blade (I used my immersion blender instead). Taste for seasonings. Serve hot or cold
I finished mine off with a immersion blender to give it a more flavorful consistency...amazing!
Try It!
Tip- DO NOT taste test the tomatoes after roasting. You will eat one...then another...then another...then another...then another...and another. And before you know it...half your batch is in your belly and your soup is no more. They are THAT delicious!
No comments:
Post a Comment
I Love Comments!