
Unfortunately, today is the day that we have to make a decision on our family dog, Red. I got a VM from the vet this morning saying that his good eye no longer has vision. It is starting to severely swell like his left eye and that he has not had signs of vision for 36 hours. She gave us her honest opinion and we appreciate her for that. She told us his body is not responding to the antifungal meds like she wanted him to and that he is slowly getting worse. A full recovery would be difficult and his quality of life would be very very poor. I talked to Scott and we decided that it is time to let him go. We gave him a chance this week and what I feared most is now becoming a reality. I have not seen Red since last Friday which makes this process just a little easier, I already felt like he was gone and am now glad I do not have to see him in pain...I can remember him the way I want to. Here is a little information to let you know how serious this situation is...After they euthanize him, we wanted to bring him back home to bury him...we were told it is against the law to bury a dog with blastomycosis due to the chance of contaminating the soil surrounding him...this breaks my heart even more to just think he is going to be thrown away...he is now just a contaminated dog. You are probably wondering if we can get this infection from him and the answer is no...the only way humans can become infected is if we come into contact ourselves with this moldy soil.
About Blasto-
About Blastomycosis (Blasto):
Blastomycosis is a fungal infection. Blasto fungus occur in the environment most often in areas with soils rich in organic material (pond banks, lakeshores, etc). Blasto spores may be released into the air by local wildlife, and are subsequently inhaled by a dog (and often, a human too). Once in the lungs Blasto spores become infective organism and multiply rapidly. At this point, a healthy dog's immune system may fight off the infection and that will be the end of it.
Signs of Infection:
The length of time between infection and outward signs can vary from a few days to several weeks, making it nearly impossible to establish a link between time of infection and location of infectious spores.
* Deep cough
* Abscess of the skin
* Sudden blindness
* Blood in the urine
Less obvious symptoms:
* Fever of 104 degrees or higher
* Loss of apetite
* Lethargy
* Intolerance for activity
Diagnosis:
Blastomycosis symptoms mirror many other diseases and is often mis-diagnosed. Infectious organisms must be located and examined for appropriate diagnosis. In cases where a skin lesion is present, a microscope slide compromised of a tissue sample will show the destructive organisms. If no lesions are present needle aspirations of the lungs may be needed, although a veterinarian may start a treatment course for suspected Blasto before positive diagnosis can be made.
On a happier note...I am 30 weeks today which is a huge milestone for anyone. In just 10 weeks, give or take a few, we will be meeting our little girl. I was looking at Gavins newborn photos yesterday and got this overwhelming feeling of excitement to be bringing home another little baby. She has become SUPER active and I love watching my belly move and guess body parts that I am feeling. I would like to post a belly picture today and will try to...as long as my tears dry up!
Thanks for visiting
No comments:
Post a Comment
I Love Comments!