Well, things started off great...Georgia loved the water spouts and Gavin roamed the whole kiddy area by himself and enjoyed jumping in the pool and playing with the other kids. About 30 minutes in is when the first difficulty began...The lifeguard blew the whistle...and my kids did not understand that it was "break" and that they needed to stay out of the pool...Oh, boy! Let your imaginations run wild on that one as to how a mom could possibly explain this to a 20 month old and 3 1/2 year old...but they needed to know for future visits!
So the 15 minutes pass...we get back in and enjoy things for 30 more minutes...Gavin was an angel and Georgia was starting to turn sour...which I knew was bound to happen due to her age. Georgia starts fussing more, so I try to keep her occupied in many different ways to buy Gavin some more time. Well, it reaches the point where I cant handle her fussiness and crying anymore...I get her changed (all while shes crying) and proceed to tell Gavin it is time to go...this is where our lovely time comes to a screeching halt! The boy refuses to get out and holds strong in the middle of the kiddie pool (which is kinda large). So picture this...me, holding my screaming daughter in my arms because I cant let her down...Iam asking Gavin as calmly and motherly as possible to please come out...or else we wont be coming back. HA! He is laughing at me in his little head and continues to sternly shake his head no. 10 minutes pass and Iam losing my cool...and so is Georgia. I finally decide that the only way he is coming out is if I physically remove him...which I did. So I jump in the pool with Georgia in my arms (screaming)...all while trying to remove Gavin as nicely as possible from the pool (he is kicking and screaming as well). And this crying battle continues until we get to the Suburban...EVERYONE was staring at me.
Wow, talk about feeling like a complete failure (me!). I always hold stern that if one of them has an issue with listening to me or Scott...there will always be consequences. It broke my heart to do this...but I absolutely had to...Gavins grandpa called as we were pulling in the driveway and asked if he could take Gavin in the combine to the local John Deere dealer to have it fixed (and see his dad!). I felt terrible for saying he couldnt go due to some behavior issues ...but how else is my child going to learn what is expectable behavior and what is not? I have never experienced anything like that pool issue in my whole 3 1/2 years of being a mother...OY!
So I hope Gavin learned a lesson...because I learned a valuable one as well...which is to NEVER judge a parent or child when they are having issues in public...I used to do it ALL the time. Because in actuality, my kids listen pretty well and respect us for the most part...and if I were to judge myself by that one instance...I would wonder if that parent had a grasp on their kids!
I once heard a comedian say when your kid's throwing a tantrum on the floor of the grocery store, step over them, look around innocently, and say, "Some people's children!"
ReplyDelete;-)
I feel for ya! I'm sure all the people staring have seen it before.
ReplyDeleteBeen there! I have a 3 1/2 yr old and 21 month old too and they are very stubborn little boys (they get it from Husband). Just going to the store this morning was an ordeal b/c I wouldn't let them take plastic golf clubs into Wal-Mart (oh the heartbreak!). Just be glad that most of the people at the pool don't know you and they've prolly seen worse.
ReplyDeleteHa! And did I mention Iam 19 weeks pregnant?!?! It was a lovely sight!!
ReplyDeleteMy mom had a saying "You will survive it you just won't look like much!" I can tell you as a mother of 4 children ages 23 to 16 it is all true today it wasn't funny but it's memories like that you will laugh about later on. Just embrace them while they are small because they grow up fast!
ReplyDeletePam
We were there today! Let me know when you are going next time, and maybe the girls and I can meet you there. Strength in numbers!
ReplyDelete